Re: using laptop as wireless access file server / Gramps ideas

Check out the Raspberry Pi Pirate Box or the Library Box. I did a talk on the Pi version at Algonquin a few years ago. It may be exactly what you are looking for. There have been a few derives since then.

It appears that the pirate box is no longer maintained, and there are a few alternatives. Maybe freedom Box is the answer. I don’t know how good it would be without an Internet connection, as it is designed to work as a community mesh network. Again, it may serve for what you would like.

https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox

This may be a gook place to get additional ideas: http://nethood.org/links/