avahi / .local configuration

I've set up a new machine for my wife and it is mostly going very well.

One problem is that the WIRED network connection did not find other
machines on the LAN, in particular raspberrypi.local and (synology-name).local

It occurred to me that wired and wireless might have different configs, so I
plugged in an old USB wifi dongle and things worked.

So I'm wondering where to look for the config tweak that will fix this.

I've found /etc/nnswitch.conf has

passwd:         files systemd
group:          files systemd
shadow:         files

on the new machine, while my (wired) machine has

passwd:         compat systemd
group:          compat systemd
shadow:         compat

Is that important?

Looking for pointers to see if I can get things sorted out.

Cheers, JN