launching python3 script in Linux Mint etc.

I've a small script I wrote in Python / tkinter to caption jpeg files.

I'd like to have Nautilus/Caja (both seem to give similar issues) launch this
under "open with". Looking at some web postings, there are different recommendations,
such as creating a shell script first. And it seems I need to look in the mimetypes.list
file and point to an appropriate .desktop file.

The usual Right-Click / (File) Properties / Open With  allows me to add a pointer to either
my script or a bash script that calls it. But when I try "open with other application" and
choose one of these, nothing happens. I suspect I've not got an appropriate .desktop file,
and/or not included it correctly in the mimetypes.

Can anyone point me to a good reference or tutorial on this. I can get my script to
run under Double Commander, but would like to be able to run it under the "standard"
file manager(s). I suspect a lot of web postings are incomplete.

Best,

John Nash