Tips on debugging nsswitch

Good aft,

Does anyone have tips for how to debug nsswitch, short of going into the
source, rebuilding with -O0 -g, and attaching a gdb?

My dad's laptop is supposed to mDNS-resolve a printer, but when I strace
-e trace=network getent hosts $thePrinter.local, it doesn't even try to
connect to the Avahi socket.

What I expect.

    $ strace -e trace=network getent hosts something.local
    […]
    socket(AF_UNIX, SOCK_STREAM, 0)         = 3
    connect(3, {sa_family=AF_UNIX, sun_path="/var/run/avahi-daemon/socket"}, 110) = 0
    192.168.1.3     something.local

For some reason, it consults the router's DNS server and quits.

Regards,

Alex Pilon

P.S. Catch up, check in on people and events in another thread.