Re: thoughts on secure over-the-air (OTA) updates?

I am going state the obvious.

First, and most importantly, every protocol that talks to the terminals MUST be versioned or there will be chaos.

Secondly, your server end has to be able to handle multiple protocol versions because you may not know which device has been upgraded successfully or not.

Large binary blob ie complete SW system image are easier to QC since there is only that blob which has to be tested but with unreliable OTA delivery, there will be risks that some terminal will never be upgraded. Never, ever.

Very fine grained deployments are more likely to be delivered but can be a nightmare to support and debug since some device may receive A before B while others may receive B before A. Fine grain delivery like continuous deployment frameworks I would only consider for reliable networking scenario ie well connected devices over reliable network.

Package level deployment is Ok as long as you can solve dependency issue. Though I am not sure I really want to do OS upgrade small piece at a time. If you have the backend system, complete OS upgrades works well eg. iOS devices are upgraded in the hundreds of millions over the course of a week.

Anyways, interesting problem which crosses the technical domain into the organizational domain ie. What the organization is willing to accept.

Spencer