Re: Is there an org in Ottawa packaging used computers for free?

  • Subject: Re: Is there an org in Ottawa packaging used computers for free?
  • From: Rob Echlin <rob [ at ] echlin [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 02:25:50 +0000 (UTC)
   > On Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 8:38:07 p.m. EST, Brett Delmage <brett [ dot ] delmage [ at ] twobikes [ dot ] ottawa [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca> wrote:

 > On Thu, 30 Jan 2020, Rob Echlin wrote:

> > There used to be one or more groups recycling computers for people who otherwise could not afford one.
> >
> > Is there still a group doing that?
>
> Here is one I have donated gear to:
>
> http://compucorps.org/donations/
>
> CompuCorps is a high-tech charity that seeks to benefit Canadian society
> by providing at risk groups (Aboriginal, youth,  seniors and those living
> with disability) career and life skills training focused on access to
> technology (computers) and the internet.
>
> The organization runs three programs including; TechYouth, TechReuse and
> TechMentor. It was funded in 2000, has engaged over 250 IT volunteers, and
> it has contributed to over 100 charity projects supported by a dedicated
> team of members and volunteers. Located at 1040 Somerset St west,
>
> but...
>
> CompuCorps is also a registered Microsoft partner and refurbisher.
>
> http://compucorps.org/techstore/
> "Win 7 OS for All"
>
> ---
>
> I wonder if OCLUG might be able to work with them to help connect
> them and the people they serve with Linux? I'd be willing to do something
> there.>
>
> Brett
Hi Brett,
I would not go in to try to replace Windows with Linux.
Perhaps we could talk to them about providing:
- web/cloud server management classes.- Raspberry Pi classes - in Python- Javascript classes for front and back end

Any other ideas?

Of course we need to have our ducks in a row - volunteers for such classes, and maybe some pre-written training material that we found on the interwebs.
Rob