Non-MS mail server (was Re: Horde!)

On 4/27/19 7:07 PM, Rob Echlin wrote:

> Anyone here have experience with non-MS mail servers and totally
> non-MS software in an office?

Yes... about 19 years' worth.

> Is it reasonable for a company that has sales people in it, and
> marketing types, all the usual staff?

Yes, absolutely.  I ran Roaring Penguin Software from 1999 through 2018 and
we never used any MS software for anything.  This includes our sales and
marketing staff.

Our software stack looked like this:

Desktops:
Debian Linux with LibreOffice, Firefox, Chrome and user's choice of email
client, typically Thunderbird or Claws Mail.  Technical people could run
whatever desktop they like; one person used Slackware and that was fine
just so long as I didn't have to fix it if it broke. :)

Mail Server:
Sendmail as the MTA with Dovecot as the IMAP server.

CRM Tool: SugarCRM

PBX: Asterisk

Ticketing tool: Request Tracker (RT)

Accounting: LedgerSMB.  OK, this was painful, but it got the job done and
we really only used it for invoicing.  Tax preparation and payroll were
outsourced.

Chat: While all the Cool Kids (tm) use Slack, we used bog-standard IRC on an
internal server.  I'm frankly baffled by the popularity of Slack as well
as it's absurd valuation.

Sharepoint replacement: Subversion.  We just kept all our shared docs
in Subversion.  The tech people used Git, but I felt Git concepts were
too complicated for sales/marketing types, so compromised on SVN.

We also had quite a lot of integration software that we developed
internally, such as integration between the phone system, the CRM and
RT.  It was pretty neat; when a support call came in, you could set
things up to open the customer's SugarCRM page and also a summary of
their most recent tickets as soon as you answered the call.

Our office functioned very smoothly and the non-technical types had no
trouble adjusting or getting their work done.  I'd say the weakest link
was the calendaring piece; SugarCRM does have a calendar module but it's
sadly not as good as MS Outlook's calendar.  However, it wasn't bad enough
that we were motivated to switch away.

I don't know exactly how much we saved in software license fees over
the years, but it has to be around the $50K-$100K mark at least, if
not considerably more.

Regards,

Dianne.