access to mdadm raid1 "disk" from apache2?

To facilitate some genealogy work at home, I've found it helpful to point local apache2
server at some of my files. This seemed to work fine by just putting a symlink to directories
in my /home/john area. However, today I tried a symlink to a directory on a RAID1 disk (/dev/md0
in my system, mounted at /media/john/J6R).

For some reason I've had no success. Read lots of "help" pages, but no joy.

Things I've played with (possibly incorrectly):

- user and group ownership of various objects
- (re)mount disk with gid for www-date and uid for me
- restarts of Apache2
- apache2.conf adjustment for directory, available  and enabled (symlink),
  adding FollowSymLinks etc.

I've a sneaking suspicion that mdadm disks may need some special setting, or else I'm
missing something very simple that is staring me in the face.

This isn't terribly urgent or necessary, but it would be nice to know what is going on.

Probably not something that is easy to sort out by the list, so maybe offline until worked
out.

JN