Re: Encryption software for external hard drive

  • Subject: Re: Encryption software for external hard drive
  • From: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 12:31:50 -0500
On 2019-01-11 11:28, Dianne Skoll wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 16:06:43 +0000
> Robert Venczel <robert [ at ] wawtechnologies [ dot ] com> wrote:
>
> > I would like to encrypt my backup files stored on an external
> > drive. Which software would you suggest I should use for it? Thank
> > you.
>
> There are many options.  I use "encfs" which is pretty simple to use and
> encrypts each file individually.  Note that encfs is probably not the most
> secure solution available; see the "Security Concerns" section at
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EncFS but it's good enough for me.
>
> You could use LUKS if you prefer full-disk encryption.

I use LUKS with a linux filesystem (ext4 or xfs) on external drives.  Most
distros have pop-ups to prompt you for the passphrase, and several options for
one-time, session, or login-protected keyring key lifetime.

I forget whether I set it up manually, or just used something like gparted.

> Dianne.

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\             <hpv.tricolour.ca>
<www.TriColour.ca>                 --  \___   o \@      @        Ride yer bike!