Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Anyone use thinstation and/or xrandr

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 03:33:53PM +0000, Trevor James wrote:
> It is using xrandr to set up the X-Windows (or I assume since it is
> all the graphics setup)

You mean to tell X11 how to configure the screens only, right? xrandr
doesn't do any more than that. No input device configuration, no driver
config, etc.

> When we boot the machine we get video and everything is great, but if
> you turn off the screen, or it goes into suspend mode, or unplug the
> cable etc, when you turn it back on, or plug it back in, no video.

xrandr(1) is not a daemon. It does not get get new-monitor events and
reconfigure like you wish. If you remove and re-add a monitor, the
settings are lost. In desktop environments (DE), *maybe* the display
manager does that… but could you describe what is your app setup for the
list's benefit?

> I have tried adding to the configuration file XRANDR_OPTIONS="-addmode
> DSP-0 1680x1050_60.00" without success.

Which configuration file?

Also:

1. I'm pretty sure DisplayPort outputs have the convention DP-0, DP-1, etc.
2. Did you mean --addmode instead of -admode?
3. Shouldn't you be able to just do --output DP-0 --auto, and maybe
   --above/--left-of/--right-of, whatever? Could you describe your
   physical setup please?