Re: [OCLUG-Tech] reconfigure laptop disk for linux?

Hi John
You would be doing the change to extended for one of the partitions using fdisk or similar? Yes, risky, but the risk is all in your fingers. Can you practice on some other surplus PC?

About the backup to removeable disk: I would prefer to use dd for this, just because I know it better.

One option which might be less risky: install Ubuntu, and let it do the partition changes. It knows how to shrink the windows filesystem and set up the partitions. Then install Mint on the Ubuntu partition. Maybe you can go directly to Mint.

It has been a while since I have monkeyed with partitions, so I hope I said this all correctly.
Cheers --Rick