Re: [OCLUG-Tech] looking for recommendations for portable MP3/FLAC music player

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] looking for recommendations for portable MP3/FLAC music player
  • From: Alex Pilon <alp [ at ] alexpilon [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 07:49:48 -0500

On Mon, Feb 05, 2018 at 07:54:45PM -0500, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> Ditch itunes, use ifuse. https://github.com/libimobiledevice/ifuse
>
> Unfortunately I haven't used it. Has anyone here?

ifuse is not an iTunes replacement. You just get a FUSE filesystem and
access to the device's filesystem. You *can* see the music directory and
files, but good luck figuring out their metadata system… or at least it
was the case a few years ago. You might have some luck with Python 3 and
stdlib plistlib, and a bit of digging, but that's it. Don't even bother
trying to go the other way.

Well, that's all said without looking for existing reverse engineering
notes online. IANAL, do so at your own risk.

Cheers,

Alex Pilon