[OCLUG-Tech] How to convert a character MAC address into individual hex bytes for writing?

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] How to convert a character MAC address into individual hex bytes for writing?
  • From: rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 07:22:16 -0400

  OK, this exercise should be a bit trickier -- given a character MAC
address, how can I break it into individual hex chars for writing to
EEPROM? So the script takes the argument, say, "A0:B1:C2:D3:E4:F5",
and I need to, one nibble at a time, get the value 0x0A, 0x0, 0x0B, 0x01
and so on.

  (Doesn't matter if the invoker wants to put the colons in or not, I
can just run the string through "tr -d ':'" to deal with that.)

  As earlier, I can always loop through each character in the MAC address,
but I'm wondering if there's some clever "printf" format that can
do that all at once.

rday