[OCLUG-Tech] Settings to inhibit wannacry

I've been looking at some of the web postings about the Wannacry malware, and it seems
that it is a Samba version 1 exploit. Seemingly not a direct impact on Linux users at
the client level, nor on Linux servers, though I welcome correction if I'm not right on
this.

Two questions:

1) To help slow down the spread of the ransomware, is it worth linux users putting

min protocol = SMB2

in the [global] section of the samba smb.conf file? I've done this on one of my Linux
Mint 18 boxes and rebooted. Seems to work fine (but I don't use smb explicitly myself).

2) I use some WinXP VMs on Virtualbox. Should I do anything on those to reduce the
spread of infection? I certainly have not updated (can't) in quite a while. They are
still useful for a few operations requiring DRM access to remote sites like CTV or
OPL.

Best, JN