Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how can I control network bandwidth usage?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how can I control network bandwidth usage?
  • From: Alex Pilon <alp [ at ] alexpilon [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2017 20:07:15 -0400

On Wed, May 03, 2017 at 06:01:15PM -0400, Peter Sjöberg wrote:
> They said the bell modem is a "commercial grade" one
> apparently intended for small businesses but I don't bet anything on
> that it's done anything to it besides having a higher price.

Too bad it's not called “robbers”...

> On 03/05/17 04:24 PM, Alex Pilon wrote:
> > It also helps if all your endpoints' network stacks do fair queueing, so
> > that applications on the same machine also fairly send traffic to
> > congestion-susceptible Wi-Fi.
>
> Endpoints would be in each cottage and they already have problems with
> things like people resetting the wireless router to factory default
> despite notes to not do that.

Does the carrot and stick method here work? New sign, in colour, ‘I will
slow down your Internet access if you dare to touch this’? That's simply
lack of respect for the local administrator, is it not?

> > A full analysis of all possible sources of congestion is beyond the
> > scope of a single email.
>
> And beyond the scope of this project - at least for now. I'm just trying
> to help them a little as the summer comes, with monitoring capability
> and -if not that hard - possible some way to limit the traffic for
> offenders, not implement a final solution to all problems.
>
> My take on it is that if they can see what cottage that streaming videos
> it's a huge improvement that may help them over the summer.

I hope you defined what number of clients, and what quality of video. On
a single DSL line? 2 klicks is already stretching it in my experience of
Bells service quality.

> I'm also going tell them to check if they can get more connections that
> can then double the bandwidth (at worst half cottages on one and other
> half on the other).

So MPPPoE or multi-homing at the IP layer?