Re: [OCLUG-Tech] need some advice on how to prune my current wiki so i can move it

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] need some advice on how to prune my current wiki so i can move it
  • From: J C Nash <profjcnash [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2017 13:45:05 -0400
Some years ago I set up several wikis with Mediawiki, which uses SQL etc.
underneath. Later I discovered Dokuwiki which doesn't use a database. There
is some loss of functionality of course, but the whole structure can be just
copied or tarballed and reset elsewhere, and it is relatively easy to prune.
Note that you don't have to separately stop the site and save the SQL, then
save the wiki code etc.

Clearly if you need the SQL support, this is an unhelpful suggestion. If,
on the other hand, the simpler setup will work for you, I recall using
some sort of tool to do the transition and it wasn't a horror to do.
(This was around 2007-8 period.) Google suggests there are some conversion
tools out there.

Best, JN