[OCLUG-Tech] Watch out for external enclosure power supplies

I have several external 3.5" drives. Usually old ones from decommissioned machines. I've bought cases for them
over the years. Happened to be cleaning up a disk today. Grabbed power block from where they are kept on shelf and
... SMOKE!

Drive OK on separate test out of case,  but I'm tossing the enclosure. VERY fine print on the power
block shows the 6 pin mini-DIN has 2 5V pins at 3 o'clock, GND at 6, 12 V at 9. But there was another block --
and in German "nur fur ..." that had GND and 12 switched. It has only a 2 pin 110V plug, and I recall too late
it was the one for this case. Sigh.

Of course, the socket on none of the enclosures is marked with pinouts.

Anyway, a word of caution if you have more than one of these.

JN