[OCLUG-Tech] Installing printers

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Installing printers
  • From: Howard Krakower <hk [ at ] zed [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 15:19:34 -0400
I decided to install a flavour of linux on my wife's laptop (A Dell
D630). The key issue was to ensure that she would be able to print
out some documents.

I first installed Ubuntu, but it would not recognize her model of
printer (Samsung ML-1865) - all it would print out said that it was
the wrong driver. So after a couple of fruitless days working on that,
I wiped the drive and installed Mint. I tried using a Brother HL-2140
printer - it installed the driver correctly, but when I attempted to
print the test page, it spat out over 50 sheets of blank paper.

Then I installed OpenSUSE, which had always been my favorite flavour
of linux, mainly because it works well for wireless networking for
Dell computers. With the Brother HL2140 it only spat out a single
blank page when I sent a test page, and a single blank page when I
sent a test document through Libre Writer. Attaching the Samsung
HL-1865 printer, the laptop said it sent a page to the printer, and
the printer flashed a few times, but no page actually made it out of
the printer.

FWIW, when the printer was attached to a Windoze notebook the test
pages printed out fine.

What am I missing here?

Howard

--