[OCLUG-Tech] jackd issues

I've been trying to get musescore and rosegarden running on three
machines that run Linux Mint 17 (two of them) or 18 (one).

These need jack, and I've installed what I think are all the pieces.
qjackctl runs and seems to start jack. When it does, alsaplayer stops.
When I stop jack in qjackctl, alsaplayer runs and music plays. However,
when jack is running, musescore and rosegarden imply they are running,
but no sound.

Wondering if someone has experience with this sort of stuff. I suspect
I've made some silly error, or missed some setting or other.

I suggest off-line communication, and I'll summarize the outcomes when
things are sorted out.

JN