Re: [OCLUG-Tech] curious about people using git on mac or windows

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] curious about people using git on mac or windows
  • From: Alex Pilon <alp [ at ] alexpilon [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 10:23:28 -0400
On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 06:52:11AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   as i am ramping up to do more git courses, i want to make sure i
> have the most up-to-date info on how to install and configure git on
> windows and mac for students who use those platforms.
>
>   one installation page i am aware of is:
>
> https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/install-git
>
> but i don't know if that's entirely current, so what is the current
> best practices for getting git on mac and windows from people actually
> using it on those platforms? thanks muchly.

AFAKI, from all my OS X using coworkers, Homebrew's the way that modern
Mac developers install Git. Mac Ports may still be around, but I was
sure it was losing against its competitor, Homebrew. Not so sure if the
Mac installer autoupdates. The exception to all this is those GUI users
who have a bundled Git library (libgit2, jgit), or the git-core, as part
of whatever GUI tool they prefer.