[OCLUG-Tech] anyone want/need a Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe 3.0X4 SSD?

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] anyone want/need a Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe 3.0X4 SSD?
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 06:40:24 -0400 (EDT)
  that would be this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-MZ-V5P512BW-512GB-2280-3-0X4/dp/B01639694M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1471343437&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+950+pro

i bought one recently when i was in the US, assured by salescreature
at fry's electronics that it was compatible with my ASUS G752VL-DH71,
turns out it isn't according to this:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79590-Issue-with-M-2-SSD-in-ASUS-ROG-GL752VW

  "What SSD are you using? I know that there is an incompatibility
between the Samsung Pro 950 and the G752 series. Ive been able to get
it to work but with a few issues."

and it sure doesn't seem to be recognized by linux -- in fact, it
causes errors in booting, and its very presence in the machine drops
the machine into an emergency shell.

  apparently, this one will work:

https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-SM951-512GB-Solid-MZVPV512HDGL-00000/dp/B015CWR4M2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1471343788&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+sm951

i'm going to spend another day or two seeing if i can get that 950 pro
to work, but i'm not optimistic. and if i can't, i'll just order that
SM951, and i'll sell this one for $300, which is a pretty decent
discount over the current $459 amazon.ca price.

  let me know if you're interested.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca