Re: [OCLUG-Tech] anyone up for an OCLUG discussion on how to set up a linux dev environment?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] anyone up for an OCLUG discussion on how to set up a linux dev environment?
  • From: Alex Pilon <alp [ at ] alexpilon [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 16:31:28 -0400
> Then there's the deb vs. rpm dichotomy,

- CPIO is a superior package format, PERIOD.
- The package manager is what matters THOUGH.
- Both rpm, dpkg, and apt are showing their age. No comment on whether
  the replacements in those distros are even decent.

> and we will not mention vi vs. emacs because surely the 1970s are
> over?

Look. If you're developing in *Vi*, not any Vi-inspired editor, you
*may* be doing it wrong by modern standards!

The holy war is irrelevant. But looking down on most modern editors
because they don't have composable key bindings is still relevant.

    https://medium.com/@mkozlows/why-atom-cant-replace-vim-433852f4b4d1#.ksww5ypjf

> PS. vim FTW

NeoVim? I'd say Vis if it had any plugin ecosystem (Rails nonsense), and
a few features from Vim which I use. At least it doesn't do brittle
regex-based syntax like Vim.

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1732348/regex-match-open-tags-except-xhtml-self-contained-tags