Re: [OCLUG-Tech] git question: how can i drop the n'th last commit?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] git question: how can i drop the n'th last commit?
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 07:26:16 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 10 May 2016, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:

> On 16/05/10, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   SCENARIO: most recent 5 commits on a clean, linear history branch:
> >
> >     ... X <--- A <--- B <--- C <--- D <--- E (HEAD)
> >
> > suddenly, i wish i hadn't done A, but want to leave the more
> > recent commits on that branch (rebased of course).
> >
> >   pretty sure i can do an interactive rebase, as in:
> >
> >   $ git rebase -i X
>
> In fact, I've done this before and lost a merge in the process due
> to the interactive option, so I think you might need to do:
>
> 	git rebase -i A~
>
> >   oh, wait, can't i just rebase B onto X? effectively, i want to
> > reproduce the work from B to E as if it originated at X; isn't
> > that just a regular rebase? thoughts?
>
> I've never done it, but I was re-reading that manpage recently and I
> think you can just do:
>
> 	git rebase --onto X B E

  yup, that's what i was thinking ... i've never tried it before but
it seems that that would be a fairly common thing people would want to
do, and should be easy as long as you have a clean and linear history.
and in my case, i can guarantee there would be no merge conflicts.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca