[OCLUG-Tech] Arch Linux space problem?

I've spent about 4 hours today trying to get Arch to come up on
Virtualbox. The Beginners Guide "sort of" worked, but left me with a
system that still came up with a terminal. I tried to install openbox
but was told I had no link to repositories. Another posting on the net
said try 'pacman -Syu' which proceeded to upgrade a whole lot of things,
then ran out of space. I suspect I need to manually mount a disk, but
haven't found that in a tutorial yet.

Can anyone point to a properly tied together recipe that goes from Vbox
boot to a working windowed system? Or -- since we are dealing with Linux
here -- a script that I can simply edit and let run.
Someone needs to point out the the Arch developers that typing in a
screen image is a very error-prone process. The concept of Arch seems
right, but the implementation seems intended to annoy.

I'm trying to find a way to build a small appliance-live-USB for my
dance colleagues to have access to music and instructions.
Unfortunately, my CrunchBang live image is old enough that it doesn't
power the audio of some newer machines (at least that's the current
diagnosis), and remastersys and Debian Live are now non- or at most
semi-functional. Otherwise I'd go with BunsenLabs or Debian. Suggestions
in that direction also OK. I do have Mint remastering with Penguy tools,
but the image is a bit large, and this is fallback choice.

Also tried a Turnkey image -- if one is willing to put up with exactly
how it is set up, it may be OK. In my case it tried to force the vegan
to eat 2 kilos of steak. There were none appropriate directly to my need.

JN