[OCLUG-Tech] optimal choice for filesystem type for SSD drive doing big builds?

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] optimal choice for filesystem type for SSD drive doing big builds?
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 11:59:56 -0500 (EST)
  i just added (as a second HD in my laptop) a 480G SSD hard drive, on
which i want to do fairly sizable builds (kernel, yocto project,
etc.). given that it's a fairly sizable drive, it should take that
much longer before i wear it out.

  normally, if i was interested in longevity, i'd put the *source* for
all my builds on the SSD, and leave the generation of build artifacts
on the regular drive. but at this point, i don't really care. given
the time i'll be saving, i'm more than happy to put it all on the SSD
and wear the heck out of it, then replace it when it wears out and
keep on going.

  under these circumstances, is there an optimal choice for filesystem
type given what i'll be doing on that drive? i'm running fedora 23 so
ext4 is the simple and obvious choice, but does anyone have experience
with a different filesystem that would be preferable? possibly btrfs?

  thoughts?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca