Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Odd behaviour in find

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 14:21:55 -0500, Alex Pilon wrote:
> > On 15-11-25 01:39 PM, Alex Pilon wrote:
> > > Is it just me or should this work?
> > >
> > >     $ find -xdev -- foo
> > >     find: unknown predicate `--'
> > >     $

man find

"This  manual  page  talks  about  `options' within the expression list.
These options control the behaviour of find but are  specified immedi‐
ately after the last path name. The five `real' options -H, -L, -P, -D
and -O must appear before the first path name, if  at  all. A double
dash -- can also be used to signal that any remaining arguments are not
options."

So in the above you are trying to terminate the initial options after
you have already started the expression options.

> > > But not this?
> > >
> > >     $ find -- foo -xdev -name 'sadasdasdasd'

Agrees with the man page.

> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 01:51:51PM -0500, Bill Strosberg wrote:
> > Sad as das DASD?    Anyone else remember an IBM DASD?  Size of a
> > refrigerator.  Could now be replaced by a USB thumbdrive.
>
> Dummy text.

//SYSIN DD DUMMY
;-)

> Forgot to mention.
>
>     $ find -- sadasdasdasd find: `sadasdasdasd': No such file or
>     directory

Again the syntax is ok, whatever the semantics.

Joe