Re: [OCLUG-Tech] University of Ottawa computer design contest

On 15-08-14 01:35 PM, Bryan Paget wrote:
> Hello OCLUG:
>
> I would like to start an open source single-board-computer (phone, tablet,
> laptop, watch or other wearable computer) design contest at the University
> of Ottawa.  I have only spoken to one computer science professor about this
> and she is interested in the proposal.
>
> The contest could be hosted by the University of Ottawa Makerspace and
> prize money could come from sponsors like the university, the Ottawa Canada
> Linux User Group (up to $500) and possibly some others, if anyone has any
> other suggestions.  I am not sure if the Raspberry Pi Foundation, Intel,
> Canonical, Redhat or Suse would be interested, but it might be worthwhile
> asking to them.
>
> The goal would be for students to learn about the open source development
> process and 3D printing.  Students could design and print prototypes at the
> uOttawa Makerspace.  This could all be done in preparation for a fair where
> other students and faculty could try out prototypes and vote.  The best
> designs would then be available for other students to print / buy and the
> designers could win a monetary prize.

Not sure what level you're targeting the design for.  Are you proposing students design an actual SBC, or are you asking
them to design a device that uses an established SBC (a RasPi2 or BBB) at its heart?

Something like a RasPi2 or BBB are OK for a watch or maybe a simple demo tablet but are going to give disappointment if
people expect basic desktop productivity.  You'd want to establish your scope and make your goals clear.

That said, Canonical might be interested if Ubuntu Snappy (or Snappy Personal) gets used.  If you can clarify the
parameters of this project I may be able to make some queries.
--
Stephen M. Webb  <stephen [ dot ] webb [ at ] bregmasoft [ dot ] ca>