Re: [OCLUG-Tech] still more dev kits to give away to good homes

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] still more dev kits to give away to good homes
  • From: Justin R <velusip [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 15:46:39 -0400
Hello,

We spoke briefly of a good board with easily accessible sensor and servo
interaction.  You recommended the Galileo, and I agree it's best for my
purposes:

* Embedded GNU/Linux (thus Direct access to I/O via sysfs)
* Native I2C support
* Native PWM support
* Toggleable 3.3v and 5v

If you would like to sponsor my hobby project with one of your spare boards
I would really appreciate it. My goal is to write a custom flight
controller for a solar glider -- one that tracks its position and the
changes in air currents in order to plot recommended flight paths to
exploit local updrafts. I'm still in the phase of planning out hardware
requirements; a development board would help out a lot as it is one of the
more expensive parts.  My project will be bound to legal airspace in
Ontario, will be insured under MAAC, and has no intention of aerial spying
nor has any relationship with the military or any other organization.  It
is strictly for my personal hobby and education.  If anything, it will be
acting as a wide area weather probe, making all gathered data public. All
software I write for it will be open license in the spirit of GNU GPL where
possible.

Let me know what you think.