[OCLUG-Tech] VM performance (was: Re: SELinux in RPM and targeted mode)

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] VM performance (was: Re: SELinux in RPM and targeted mode)
  • From: Alex Pilon <alp [ at ] alexpilon [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 16:10:28 -0400
On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 02:16:42PM -0400, Prof J C Nash (U30A) wrote:
> I find both the Telfer VM and my local VBox Centos machines to be
> painfully slow compared to Linux Mint, which itself seems a bit slow
> compared to CrunchBang or Lubuntu.

Slow how? Exactly *what* metric are you comparing? What workload? You
could just be comparing desktop environment or window manager
performance on emulated hardware, rather than anything of the distro
itself.

What's different other than the distribution? Are both VMs fully
paravirtualized (virtio-{blk,scsi,net,console,random,balloon}), bridged
networking, using a proper emulated graphics card, etc? Is there
anything else to optimize?

Not sure of VBox can even change the emulated graphics card type. I just
use QEMU with either qxl (because I might be using SPICE), else std or
vmware. See if there's something like that.

Regards,

Alex Pilon