Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Raspberry Pi Boot Camp

Awesome.  Glad to hear from you, Michael.  Yes, I'm sure Christian has something he can demo too.

The dates, times and rooms have now been officially booked thanks to Richard Hagemeyer...

---==[BEGIN SOME EVENT DETAILS]==---
Saturday, May 23, 2015
0800h to 1700h Eastern (Romeo)
Algonquin College, Woodroffe Avenue
Ottawa, Ontario
Building T
Rooms T110, T114, T115 and T119
Free parking in Lots 8 & 9
Public transit Baseline OCTranspo Transitway Station
---==[END SOME EVENT DETAILS]==---

This event could really do with a non-sucky name though.  Open Source Weekend 2 ;)

I am working to produce an official form letter and web page to present to the radio clubs for dissemination in their respective web, paper and email newletters and to try to cut down on the email chatter on the bulk mailing list.  I expect to have it ready to show off next week (and share the link back here) and start making in-person and on-air amateur radio announcements soon.  I might cheat and park a quick-and-dirty sphinx page on my github for easy cloning and sharing so I'm off the critical path.  apt-get install docutils-common #ftw.

I plan to also extend the invitation to some ham clubs in Brockville and Perth as well and maybe get some paper signs up at UQHull too.  I would also love it if you OCLUG folks can also suggest some other LUGs to try to rope in too.  Better yet, wait until I post the link and then you can tell whoever you wish to tell and maybe help by posting some paper signs at OPL.

top_and_bottom_post()
sleep 5000000

On March 9, 2015 10:08:41 PM EDT, Michael Richardson <mcr [ at ] sandelman [ dot ] ca> wrote:
>Interesting idea.  Would one be installfest be to install the Pi,
>or to install a devel environment on a PC to target the Pi?

I envision 4 mini events:  one room to showcase some Linux apps and personal projects on a big screen, one room as a Linux PC + Raspberry Pi walk-in clinic and installfest room, one room for folks to get together and yak about stuff in and one room for TBD.  I got a human from Buyapi.ca to reply but I am still waiting for reply round 2 to see if they actually want to set up a table of goodies there.

My primary goal was to assist hams who are just starting to learn 'ls' get started actually playing with their Raspberry Pi units.  I know some of them have opted to purchase raspbian on microSD cards rather than write their own from a .img.  I am just about to embark on making my own debloated raspbian images for Broadband Hamnet use (git clone https://github.com/urlgrey/hm-pi). I say, the more, the merrier... Yes, there will absolutely be people there who would gladly use the Pi headless over ssh just to practice basic Linux command-line goo and attempt major breakage.  If they don't know they want this feature yet, your demo will show them why they want it.  I haven't tried snappy on a Pi yet.  Can you actually run docker/lxd/lxc/cgroups on one?

I expect to see more than one ham there with an Ubuntu laptop that has borked 'apt-get -f' issues and/or bootable Ubuntu LiveUSB things that won't boot so it won't be just Raspberry Pis there.  Thankfully, with many of those hams using bootable usb keys, you can set most of their immediate woes right by doing a 'apt-get install gnuradio gqrx' on a clean Ubuntu 14.04+ and doing a 'blacklist dvb-something-something' and maybe a 'git clone https://github.com/argilo/sdr-examples' as icing on the cake (or just copy my .img).  Yes, there will likely be a demo of decoding pager and smart meter traffic on rtl-sdr dongles and maybe over-the-air TV on a HackRF.  I can't bring in my ceiling fan in though (http://www.irrational.net/2014/03/22/reverse-engineering-a-ceiling-fan/)

If folks wanted to bring in some cool Linux toys to show off and demo to a bunch of people who are killer smart but perhaps used to seeing minimal UIs like those found on amateur radios,  WindowsXP and 90s-style Visual Basic nagware (flashy Celestia fly-bys, someone who can actually draw something useful in Blender, suitcase Raspberry Pi clusters, nifty GIMP or Inkscape plugins, Rapsberry Pis attached to an Easy Button and a "Shroedinger's developer test automation isolation chamber", what folks can do with Virtualbox, how to fu^wAndroid up a Raspberry Pi, etc., etc.), that is also highly-recommended as well.  I would budget 15 or 30 minutes per demo and have a lot of small show-and-tell sessions.  I might bring in my Rapsberry Pi networked USB printer and RetroPi gaming console along with my pocket-sized mesh network node.  OpenELEC and RaspBMC media systems dual-booted with Berryboot if I have time.

I have several giant rolls of address labels that might be useful for name tags.

I want to get lots of pictures at this event too.  This one is likely to be featured as an article in the national TCA publication put out by RAC (http://rac.ca).  Some smart person neglected to make PDF samples of this magazine available on da public interweebz so I can't share a link to one.