Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Firewall

On 15/01/07, Jeff Green wrote:
> I bought it all here:
> http://www.pcengines.ch/order1.php?c=4
>
> The ordering process is a bit weird but after payment, they sent me a
> UPS confirmation shipment code within the hour.
>
> I will be using PfSense as the o/s + firewall (BSD based) with a nice
> shell access and web based front end.  I love this distro as I have many
> persistant VPN tunnels going and the integration with snort, pfBlocker,
> squid, DNS, DHCP etc just just superb.  I tried so many other firewalls
> out there... some of which I ran in my ehacking lab.  This one really
> stands out.  It's free with optional annual support for tech assistance)
>   Software updates are free.  The installation which installs the o/s
> and firewall packages that gets you to a point where you can connect a
> puter to config over a web browser takes all but 10 minutes from start
> to finish.

Any opinions on IPCop?  I've dealt with that one, otherwise rolled my own on an
X86 box from Debian, or ran OpenWRT or CeroWRT...

> One cool thing to point out that the PfSense folks do have ready made
> hardware packages pre-installed with their software.  With the parts I
> mention below, it is smaller and more powerful, faster and higher
> capacity storage (SSD) vs their $800 "equivalent".  I opted for the 16GB
> SSD as I run squid transparently to flush out all the ads and speed up
> content.     My parts below added up to $232.  I'm currently running
> this on a micro-ATX system with 2GB ram where my memory utilization of
> about 55% due to 800,000 table size for ip blocking via pbBlocker -
> which is why I chose the 4GB version below.
>
> My next fave firewall software / OS = http://www.zeroshell.org/ which is
> a little more primitive, (linux based i think) but extremely
> configurable.
>
> Jeff Green

<snippidy-doo-dah...  no need to cargo-cult nearly 1000 lines of digest...>

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\             <hpv.tricolour.ca>
<www.TriColour.ca>                 --  \___   o \@      @        Ride yer bike!