[OCLUG-Tech] netdev 0.1 Announcement (global Linux developer conference in our backyard)

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] netdev 0.1 Announcement (global Linux developer conference in our backyard)
  • From: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 22:11:33 -0500
Netdev 0.1 (year 0, conference 1) is a community-driven conference geared
towards Linux netheads. Linux kernel networking and user space utilization
of the interfaces to the Linux kernel networking subsystem are the focus.
If you are using Linux as a boot system for proprietary networking, then
this conference may not be for you.

The netdev conference this year is structured to be 50/50 by-invitation and
talk submission. We are making sure that we reach out to speakers who have
interesting relevant topics because we recognize most of these folks would
typically not be submitting papers to a conference. The invitation will be
made by the technical committee to the individual speakers both for
paper and tutorial sessions.

The call for papers is for the 50% submission portion of the conference for
both paper submission as well as tutorials.
We *highly discourage* submission of recycled talks.

Current topics include
- wireless
- performance analysis and improvement
- networking hardware and offload
- netfilter
- traffic control
- different networking layers (L2/3, etc)
- internet of things
- security
- additional topics can be suggested

We encourage submission of papers and tutorials. Unlike other conferences, we
are going to try and accommodate as many submissions as possible - but please
stay within the relevant topic focus and tie to Linux networking to make it
easier for the technical committee to provide quick feedback. In order to
give a talk you must be registered. If your proposal is accepted you will not
be charged a conference fee or your conference fee will be refunded to you
when your talk gets accepted.

We will be posting more updates on how to submit in the near future.

We expect about 3-4 parallel tracks both during tutorials and main talks.
Tutorials will be on the first day and talks on subsequent days.

Why you should register
-----------------------
If you yearn for the old community tech driven conferences where you mingle
with fellow geeks (only these would be Linux networking geeks) then this
would be it. There will be no marketting flashy openings. There will just
be a pure feed of Linux networking.
netdev 0.1 will be held back to back with netconf 2015, the by-invite Linux
kernel networking workshop (http://vger.kernel.org/netconf2015.html).
So gurus of all sorts will be there mingling and giving talks.
While there will be heavy Linux kernel influence we expect a lot of user
space presence as well.

Location:
---------
Downtown Ottawa, Canada
www.netdev01.org
Will be held back to back with netconf 2015.

Important Dates:
----------------
December 2, 2014		Call for Papers opens
December 10, 2014		Registration opens
January 10, 2015		Call for sessions deadline
January 20, 2015		Conference schedule announced
February 14-17, 2015		Conference days

Please register as soon as registration opens up on December 10.
Registering helps us plan properly for numbers of attendees,
ensuring venue sizes and supplies are appropriate without
wasting resources.

contact:
--------
info [ at ] netdev01 [ dot ] info

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
<www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!