Re: [OCLUG-Tech] An email question

On Fri, May 02, 2014 at 12:55:07AM -0400, David Patte ₯ wrote:
> Many websites currently use a persons email address and password as a way of
> insuring security for logging into a website.

*Supposedly*.

> If someone has an existing email mailbox specified by a particular email
> address, can anyone on this list imagine any easy way that people can
> intercept email sent to that address without knowing the person's password
> at the mailbox site?

Sure! Be root on the mail server and just peek at the mail spool.

In all due seriousness though, that's very environment specific. I can't
really provide a generic answer. Provided that basic security is in
place, no, but you can't assume that it can be done easily. Still:

* How many sites don't do TLS (and please, SMTP+STARTTLS and TLS ≥ 1.2
  ideally, not SMTPS)? IP traffic can and has been subverted en masse.
    * How many use export-grade ciphers?
    * How many accept certificates issued by untrusted CAs? Think of
      China and some businesses with man-in-the-middling firewalls.
* How many end up having some relay in the clear at some point?
* How many store emails on insecure storage?
* How many are operated by untrusted administrators?

And then there's poorly implemented SMTP [^1] servers.

I'd look at how SMTP works first, if you want to understand.

I recently advised a family member against providing credit card
information over email sent to someone whose mail server only did SMTP
in the clear. Scary how incompetent (and I do not use that word lightly,
given the stakes) some mail server administrators are. There's missteps
with little practical impact for what matters, then there's negligence.

[^1]: Anybody still using UUCP, or have a need for LMTP?

Regards,

Alex Pilon