[OCLUG-Tech] trying to run DITA open toolkit on my fedora rawhide system

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] trying to run DITA open toolkit on my fedora rawhide system
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 07:29:47 -0400 (EDT)
  (aside: i am most emphatically not a competent java developer so i
suspect the solution to this might be trivial.)

  i'm trying to install and run some simple examples of the DITA open
toolkit on my fedora rawhide system, and not having much luck. i'm
using the instructions from this page:

  https://github.com/dita-ot/dita-ot

and here's what's happening.

  i've cloned the git repo, and have verified that i have the three
listed prerequisites installed (java, ant and ivy). however, running
that first instruction:

  $ ant jar jar.plug-ins

fails thusly:

... snip ...

compile:
    [javac]
/home/rpjday/dita/git/src/main/plugins/org.dita.pdf2/buildPackage.xml:44:
warning: 'includeantruntime' was not set, defaulting to
build.sysclasspath=last; set to false for repeatable builds
    [javac] Compiling 27 source files to
/home/rpjday/dita/git/src/main/plugins/org.dita.pdf2/bin
    [javac] warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in
conjunction with -source 1.6
    [javac]
/home/rpjday/dita/git/src/main/plugins/org.dita.pdf2/src/com/idiominc/ws/opentopic/fo/index2/IndexGroupProcessor.java:14:
error: package org.dita.dost.log does not exist
    [javac] import org.dita.dost.log.DITAOTLogger;
    [javac]                         ^
    [javac]
/home/rpjday/dita/git/src/main/plugins/org.dita.pdf2/src/com/idiominc/ws/opentopic/fo/index2/IndexGroupProcessor.java:15:
error: package org.dita.dost.log does not exist
    [javac] import org.dita.dost.log.MessageUtils;
    [javac]                         ^
... snip ...

  and more similar messages. with my limited java experience, it
appears that java simply can't find a class, but on the web page
above, setting the CLASSPATH is not done until later, so i've
certainly not assigned anything to that variable (yet).

  am i doing anything obviously wrong? if anyone else has a few
minutes and can test the same thing, i'd appreciate that. from the web
page, it would seem that those instructions *should* work on any
recent linux distro, so feel free to try it on ubuntu or whatever.

  i'm sure there's a simple fix somewhere, i just don't know what it
is. thanks.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca