[OCLUG-Tech] is There any filter to turn Adobe 10 Documents into standard PDF.

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] is There any filter to turn Adobe 10 Documents into standard PDF.
  • From: Charles MacDonald <cmacd [ at ] zeusprune [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 19:51:07 -0500
A web site that I often visit to get technical information has started to use ADOBE 10 to compress the Scans of Manuals that they sell.

OCULAR asks for a password for these documents and then says it can't open them. The Fellow behind the web site of course does not understand why I just don't download the closed source reader, citing abobe's claim that adobe 10 has less mallware. The folks who run the site do see a legitimate benefit in that the Adobe 10 apparently manages to produce smaller files sizes.

I cringe any time I have to install anything from adobe (My bank sometimes uses Acrobat for their forms) and delete it as soon as possible. This would mean that I would have to do a multi-meg download several times a week in order to access the file, and worry that the format might not be readable when I want it in a couple of years.

IS there any trick to get the adobe 10 documents to behave as legal PDF files?

{I suppose I could download the reader and Print to PDF, then delete the reader, but that seems like going around in circles)

There is another site that also has been using it, but I have forgone using the information there because of the same issue.

--
Charles MacDonald                 Stittsville Ontario
cmacd [ at ] zeusprune [ dot ] ca              Just Beyond the Fringe