Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how to make a single PDF of a simple, lengthy text file?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how to make a single PDF of a simple, lengthy text file?
  • From: Bill Strosberg <oclug [ at ] strosberg [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 08:47:54 -0500
On 14-01-24 07:20 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
   ok, it's early and i'm tired so i'm sure i'm missing a simple
solution, but i have a moderately lengthy text file i want to convert
to PDF. if it was short, i'd just take a screenshot, then use
"convert" to convert the PNG file to PDF.

   but it's too long to fit on the display. so ... what simple utility
will do the trick? thanks.

rday

Open/LibreOffice Writer? Kind of like bringing an artillery regiment to a knife fight, but it is ubiquitous and doesn't require months of effort reading through man pages to generate a PDF.

--
Bill

I sometimes wonder about how someone as prolific and interested in Linux and Open Source can somehow seem to be missing the fundamental desire to figure out solutions to problems by themselves. The foundations of solid understanding of technology are built brick by brick through solving little problems one by one. Asking someone else to provide me with a short cut to solutions without personal effort seems to me like a personal defeat. I'm motivated by the thought that if someone else could figure out something, I can do it.

Some people are goal-oriented and don't care how they get there. I guess I'm more focused on the journey and place high value on making each step myself.