Re: [OCLUG-Tech] a compelling application for bind mounts?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] a compelling application for bind mounts?
  • From: "Peter Sjöberg" <lpaseen [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 09:36:05 -0500
On 12/26/2013 11:16 PM, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:
> On 13/12/26, Peter Sj?berg wrote:
>> Besides what other already said I commonly use it to find out why / (or
>> any other fs with multiple fs mounted on top) is filled up
>>   mount --bind / /mnt/root
>>   du -sh /mnt/root/*|sort -h
>> since then all the mounted fs won't get included and it even catch if
>> someone manage to fill up /dev, /proc, /sys or /tmp before it's properly
>> mounted.
>
> Interesting...  I would normally just use:
> 	du -hxd1 /|sort -h

mount --bind has been around since kernel 2.4 but -d1 is way newer and
while it may work on debian/ubuntu and suse I mostly deal with redhat
and there it's not even available in the latest rhel6.5 (maybe you can
find out why?)

peters@lab216:~ $ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 6.5 (Final)
peters@lab216:~ $ du -hxd1 /|sort -h