[OCLUG-Tech] trying to install centos 6.5 on USB drive on UEFI-enabled laptop

While not specific to CentOS.  Can the below process be done similar
in CentOS/Fedora, using equivalent guidance
to what other distributions do?

I have successfully dual boot a brand-name laptop from the DVD install
media from SuSE Linux 11 SP3 Install Media
with UEFI.  What I did first was to enter Advanced Disk Partitioning,
carve down the Win8 install, and create a new
Separate-EFI volume (FAT) for Linux, and an ext3 boot partition.  Then
I allowed YaST to partition the free-space
for the default install with GNOME desktop and dev tools in the
remaining space.  (Worked fine.)

When the install finished in the EFI menu on the cheap-new-laptop I could see:
  1. Windows 8
  2. SuSe Linux 11 SP3
  3. SuSe Linux EFI partition

Then I boot between them both checking for good function.  Yup it worked,
both OS were fully graphical desktop and no error in boot messages.
It just ran.

UEFI was happy, even though it listed Linux twice for some reason.
This works because
Newer YaST is smart enough to copy the kernel/initrd to the EFI part
and update grub.
When it does this the SuSE team handles signing of the kernel, so that
EFI will boot from
It with-out forcing the user to first do this step in EFI shell.
Vanilla kernels also install from
repo and sign up fine to boot from EFI.  Just remember to run: efibootmgr

Yay, I was happy - I didn't want to touch the UEFI glop with a long
pole.  Except, now I
had all these M$ partitions kicking around taking up GB and GB of
space - Did not
particularly want Win8 installed on the laptop to begin with, but it
came standard at store.
I needed a large Filesystem for virtual machine images.  I decided, I
would dd-out Windows
C-drive and recovery/driver partitions, but not the Windows UEFI
partition to see if it would still boot.

I ran multiple passes to cleanse my hard disk of Win8 (default at
store).   This worked, it
still boot, but for some reason the BIOS did a weird complaining
routine on boot-up for
the first while and said that the Operating System was not installed
or damaged and trying to
get to online/live restore of Windows from BIOS tools.   I just said
ok pressing enter a bunch of
times where it hung unable to find Windows, then restarted and it boot
straight into Liunx.
I then had a large BTRFS file system, which I mounted in fstab where
windows used to be.
It was fine.  But I re-installed grub/efi signing again.  Then
rebooting, no complaints.

>From this day the install is functional and no issues booting.   I
guess you don't need the Windows UEFI
from vendor if it came with Win8, but I kept mine just in case.  As
long as you have a valid EFI boot disk as
DOS file system with certificate-signed kernel.  Many Linux vendors
have caved in and got their
certificates for Secure boot, I think Stallman was worried about those
who cannot obtain such in their
distro, then the UEFI boot stuff likely encumbers the install.

Why not just delete Win8, then run Win7 in the VM if you must have
Windows?  Native Touch support might be
best in Debian/Ubuntu or Desktop release of Linux, I didn't need all
that on my laptop, because it's not a
convertible with the touch screen, but I did spend some time updating
X input class for trackpad mouse device,
with the two finger scrolling, etc.

Arch Linux had a great tutorial that helped alot for trackpad usability.

Something to note, the SuSe kernel handled PM/ACPI events such as
suspend and hibernate correctly right from the
install, but I had to move up to a newer kernel for wlan support or
build in the broadcom drivers as kmod.  When I wanted
a newer 3.x kernel from an opensuse repo due to compiling some file
system modules, suspend is not working
anymore, haven't figured-out why.  But I'd rather have it that way,
then to be stuck to older SuSE kernel all the time
- despite the support level, until I get the Correct config lines to
re-enable suspend, then it will all work with kernels
build from the SRPM.

BTW, suse has the page for UEFI at:  http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:UEFI

(Apparently, you can remove the MS Win8 secure boot keys and install
opensuse certificates, if one reads up on it
and they actually *want to* dive into EFI, then this is a good
exercise; but might void the warranty on the
Laptop/computer. It would still need a boot efi part with fat fs.)

--
Allan Fields
Ottawa, Canada

_____