Re: [OCLUG-Tech] free mailing list host

On 13-11-29 08:21 PM, Brett Delmage wrote:

I guess all of these could be suitable if you don't care about having your subscribers' privacy violated via the U.S. Patriot Act. i.e. U.S. hosted.

Canadian providers?

If anyone has been following the revelations on Bruce Schneier's blog and Security Focus, the NSA has been sniffing out mailing lists and traffic internal to Google's private networks inside and outside the US borders. Fundamentally if you don't want information leakage, run your own very well secured server and restrict communications to only controlled configuration clients with good quality encryption. Aside from that, forget about it.

If you don't want to get wet, don't go outside when it's raining. If you don't want information leakage, don't go on the Internet. There is no security any more. Even if you do everything right, poorly configured clients can leak information outside their end of the tunnel.

Canada is not long behind the US in it's destruction of privacy. The new cyberbullying legislation has had all kinds of nasty provisions duct taped to it by the government to allow legal, unwarranted access to anything. I'm all for protecting kids from bullies, but not at the expense of privacy breaches without warrants or due process.

--
Bill