Re: [OCLUG-Tech] help for new Linux users - before the club meeting

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] help for new Linux users - before the club meeting
  • From: Rob Echlin <rob [ at ] echlin [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 10:22:51 -0700 (PDT)
Hi

I would like to have some suggestions and volunteers to present 5 minute
demos of "basic Linux topics", either before or after the main meeting.
This would be in a small group around a table, not to the main group.

My idea here is to provide a bit of structure to the groups, so they are more focused on demos and not just chatting.

My ideas:
- Word processing - Open office, Callabra Word, other.

- Spreadsheets
- email clients

- different browsers and why try them
- setting up a web server
- setting up a database
- setting up a VM for a purpose (such as  - is that too long for 5 minutes?)
- or maybe use the VM, not showing how to set it up, to demonstrate a
database on a server or use two of them to demonstrate failover?

- simple programming demo
- simple shell script demo
  - anyone got scripts they use a lot?

--