Re: [OCLUG-Tech] any folks interested in the new beaglebone black?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] any folks interested in the new beaglebone black?
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 13:44:54 -0400 (EDT)
  a short followup to below:

On Wed, 1 May 2013, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   i will probably be putting in an order in the near future for the
> new beaglebone black (henceforth, BBB):
>
> http://circuitco.com/support/index.php?title=BeagleBoneBlack
>
> and i can add more units to the order if others are interested.
>
>   i will most likely order from specialcomp.com, here's the BBB page:
>
> https://specialcomp.com/beaglebone/
>
> if you wanted to seriously hack, i think i'd recommend the collection
> of following parts:
>
> * BBB rev A5A (comes with USB mini-B cable)
> * acrylic case
> * microHDMI to HDMI cable (unless you already have one)
> * USB mini-B serial UART (for console access)
>
> that last item would be in lieu of an FTDI-to-TTL cable:
>
> https://www.adafruit.com/products/70
>
> you need to connect to the console on the BBB since, for space
> reasons, the earlier serial port was removed.

  i dropped bill at specialcomp an email and suggested that, for
convenience, it might be useful to simply define a "hacker's kit" for
the new BBB, which would include everything one needed to hack away,
but not stuff that almost any hacker would already have.

  most folks would already have (or have easy access to) things like:

  * 5V power adapter
  * micro SD cards
  * USB or USB/serial cables

the standard (non-white-label) version of the BBB takes a micro SD
card, but comes with angstrom already installed in eMMC so you can
boot before you can lay hands on an SD card. it also comes with the
USB mini-B cable, so my suggestion for the hacker's kit was:

  * (non-white-label) rev A5A BBB (which includes USB mini-B cable)
  * acrylic case with all holes for console and JTAG access
  * HDMI <-> microHDMI cable
  * USB mini-B serial UART adapter for console access

  obviously, you can always order whatever you want but it would be
easier to just say, "i need 5 BBB hacker's kits." might even get a bit
of a discount but no guarantees there.

  does that strike one as a reasonable defn of a hacker's kit? have i
forgotten anything that's listed here?

https://specialcomp.com/beaglebone/

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca