Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how to start ripping all my music CDs?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how to start ripping all my music CDs?
  • From: "Jean-Francois Messier" <jf [ at ] messier [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 08:30:57 -0700
If you are using high-quality speakers / headphones, a lossless ripping
might be more important. If this is something for backgrond sound /
ambiance, the quality might not be important. If you rip using MP3,
which is perhaps the most popular format for music players, including
iPods, you can still choose a higher sampling rate. But there is still
some loss of quality from the original CD.

One thing you may be looking for is something that can rip in batch,
where you only insert the CD and let it run. I am not sure this exists,
but given you are surely busy, what may also matter much is an
auto-detection of your discs for the album and track titles. Even with
the best services, you still should manually check that the ritgh one
was found on services like CDDB.

I ripped hundreds of CDs over the years, and usually, CDDB was doing a
right job, or the CD was just unknown. I did not have too many duplicate
titles to choose from.

You should look for something that rips at a high sampling rate, like
320 for the MP3s.

I think the one I was using last time was RippperX. But I may be wrond
on this. I was using those software to correct previously ripped tracks
to fix the filenames or ID tags.

JF
---
Open Source is open minded.