Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Help recovering a (software-dead, not hardware dead) hard-drive SOLVED!

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Help recovering a (software-dead, not hardware dead) hard-drive SOLVED!
  • From: ed stuckems <edstuckems [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 19:23:33 -0500
On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 1:37 PM, Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] net> wrote:

<snip>
> I would have done:
>
>         for f in /dev/sd?; do fdisk -l $f; done
>
> which would have given you something useful.
>
> I agree that fdisk is of more and more limited usage these days since it can't
> cope with more than 2TB.

True, I actually did something similar using parted:

for f in /dev/sd?; do parted -s $f print; done

which lists the partition table as 'fdisk -l' does but it does so
accurately for a larger number of partition table formats.  But, I get
your point: I should have used an option that actually produced output
when the drive was there.

Actually, fdisk's bigger issue is it's inability to understand GUID
Partition Tables (GPTs) which are quickly becoming the norm now that
MS has uefi and secure boot on vendors wishing to sell their machines
with Windows 8.  As I understand it, no one attempting to install
linux on a machine purchased with Windows 8 will be able to use fdisk
regardless of the size of the drive!   Furthermore, as I understand
it, there are only 2 distributions of linux that will install on a
Windows 8 PC!  But, that belongs to another thread ;-).

regards,
eds.