Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Linux Digest, Vol 97, Issue 3

Hi Peter,

For low power but fast enough servers, something like a Tegra 3 (ARM quad core, GPU) is hard to beat for power efficiency. Linux does run on it. NVidia is supplying 3.1.10-based Ubuntu-derivative distribution for it. I read about a mini-ITX ARM-based board announcement a few weeks ago.

For something more conventional (x86), try one of the Atom-based mini-ITX boards. They draw about 15-20W max. A ready made Atom box would be something like the ASUS eeeBox which is compact and draws about as little as x86 box would likely draw without going with a really slow x86 processor.

I too have a Koolu box which has been running for a few years but it runs quite warm so I would not be surprised if the HDD inside die of heat death before I have a chance to retire it.

Spencer