Re: [OCLUG-Tech] anyone out there using Kernel Mode Linux?

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 08:48:54 -0400 (EDT)
"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca> wrote:

>   that is,
>
> http://web.yl.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~tosh/kml/
>
> anyone have experience with it?  opinions on whether it has any
> obvious value?  compelling arguments for use?
>
> rday

No experience in Linux with kernel mode but with other systems. Short
answer: DON'T!!!

The purpose of kernel mode is to protect your system from bugs and
malware in applications. Windows runs in its kernel mode and you see
the amount of malware they have. Even the world's best programmer has
bugs and running applications in kernel mode is an invitation to
disaster.

There is also another trend, micro-kernels. In them, even the
hardware drivers are removed from kernel mode and run in their own,
protected space. This is because many systems crashes are the result of
bugs in the drivers, not the kernel.

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
  Shawn

Why fit in when you can stand out?
	Dr. Seuss

as it is about coding.