Re: [OCLUG-Tech] running QEMU without KVM, a newbie question

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] running QEMU without KVM, a newbie question
  • From: Bart Trojanowski <bart [ at ] jukie [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 16:51:46 -0400
Your understanding is correct.  KVM provides an acceleration path for QEMU.

KVM used QEMU as a base because the hard part of virtualization is to
emulate hardware devices, and QEMU already did this well when KVM started.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a good writeup on how to disable
acceleration since most people want the acceleration.  I am sure you can
google as well as I can, so I will assume that one doesn't exist... :-)

You could unload the kvm modules, blacklilst the kvm module and then get no
acceleration.

-Bart