Re: [OCLUG-Tech] GUI for OCR

There is an option to "save_as" with xsane that does attempt OCR. I've not been much
pleased with the results. Even the best open source stuff doesn't seem to be in the same
league as the commercial (and expensive) stuff.  Similarly, I've written a script that
scans a document like a photocopier to pdf, using the image cleanup mkbitmap from the
potrace package. However, it doesn't work nearly as well as whatever Xerox uses in their
print centers to scan to email. There's room for some improvement on the FLOSS side.

Do report what you find. I suspect that there are people chipping away at this.

JN