Re: [OCLUG-Tech] licensing annoyances with installing windows in a VM?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] licensing annoyances with installing windows in a VM?
  • From: Stephen Gregory <oclug [ at ] kernelpanic [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 12:26:17 -0400
On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>wrote:

>  it's not a problem to purchase windows 7 home or pro or whatever
> variant i choose from something like staples, but if i do that, i get
> one shot at installation, at which point i'm stuck with that install.

I am not sure where you got this idea, but it is not the case. Microsoft
does allow you to re install on different hardware. Also you have 60 days
IIRC to activate the install. Until you click on "activate" MS doesn't know
that you even opened the package. Even if you do need to activate the
install on different hardware I think you 5 or 10 before you need to call
the support and have them reset the activation count.

  for now, if i purchase the OS off the shelf, i'll try to install it

> in virtualbox on my 64-bit ubuntu 11.10 system, but if that becomes
> too much of a pain,

I don't see why this would be a problem. I run similar
software-that-only-runs-on-windows-and-can't-be-replaced in a vm. If the vm
doesn't work out reinstall on the laptop.

If you have an OEM copy of windows you can install it in a VM on the on the
original hardware. There are settings to expose the real hardware's DMI
tables to the vm.

Pro Tip: drink heavily while using windows. It helps ease the pain.

 --
sg