[OCLUG-Tech] [bjb [ at ] sourcerer [ dot ] ca: Re: IPv6 for bjb]

----- Forwarded message from "Brenda J. Butler" <bjb [ at ] sourcerer [ dot ] ca> -----

Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 21:27:45 -0500
From: "Brenda J. Butler" <bjb [ at ] sourcerer [ dot ] ca>
Subject: Re: IPv6 for bjb
To: Bart Trojanowski <bart [ at ] jukie [ dot ] ca>

Thanks for the config files, they helped a lot.

Unfortunately IPv6 isn't working for me.  Would it be all right if I
quote the contents of the files in a question to oclug?

Thanks,
bjb

The question will be like this, it's long and ugly but I think all the info
is there if someone wants to answer it:

Subject:  IPv6 connection to TekSavvy question

I have obtained an IPv6 subnet from TekSavvy and I'm trying to
configure my linux router to bring it up.

I've configured the ppp "peer" file (called teksavvy6) like this:

# teksavvy IPv6

pty "/usr/sbin/pppoe -I eth0 -T 80 -m 1452"

defaultroute
#replacedefaultroute
hide-password

# send LCP echo-request every 20 seconds
lcp-echo-interval 20
# close connection after 6 consecutive non-responses to echo-request
# (2 minutes)
lcp-echo-failure 6

# don't require peer to authorize
noauth

mtu 1492
maxfail 0
persist

# no address/control compression
noaccomp
# don't escape any of ascii 0-31
default-asyncmap

#holdoff 20
#plugin rp-pppoe.so eth0
user mydslusername@thedsldomain.theygaveme
usepeerdns
debug

unit 1

+ipv6
#ipv6cp-accept-local
#ipv6 ,
ipv6cp-use-ipaddr
#ipv6cp-use-persistent
noip

and set up the secret.  When I run pon teksavvy6 (with the pty line commented out),
the link starts to come up and it does authenticate but when it gets to the IPV6CP
stage, any overtures it makes to Teksavvy are rejected:

Feb  3 20:53:05 gateway pppd[6880]: rcvd [PAP AuthAck id=0x1 ""]
Feb  3 20:53:05 gateway pppd[6880]: sent [IPV6CP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr fe80::49f1:a0ae:6d16:deec>]
Feb  3 20:53:05 gateway pppd[6880]: rcvd [LCP ProtRej id=0x84 80 57 01 01 00 0e 01 0a 49 f1 a0 ae 6d 16 de ec]
Feb  3 20:53:05 gateway pppd[6880]: Protocol-Reject for 'IPv6 Control Protocol' (0x8057) received

I've tried replacing ipv6cp-use-ipaddr with each of:

ipv6 ,
ipv6 ::1,
ipv6cp-accept-local
ipv6-use-persistent

with pretty much the same results.  The ConfReq line usally has a different address each time.
The "ipv6 ::1," line resulted in an address like fe80::1 but apart from that they seem randomly
assigned.

I've tried putting in the pty line, but as I don't have a /usr/sbin/pppoe on my system it results
in a continuous stream of fork attempts as pppd tries to fork a nonexisting program on each
and every channel, one after the other.  pppoe seems to be built-in as a plugin to the
version of pppd that I'm running, I can see its output when I have this line in teksavvy6
(peers file):

plugin rp-pppoe.so eth0

output from pppd on running pon teksavvy6:  Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded.

So my question is, - is it a mistake on my part, or do I need to ask TekSavvy to do something
so my requests are accepted?  And/or how do I make the plugin pppoe behave as the config
pty line wants it to?

I have received an helpful pair of example peers files from someone to work
from, here they are:

(contents of ipv4.txt)
(contents of ipv6.txt)

I've also looked at this blog article which looks pretty good actually
but it seems to be a more redhat-ish style of config, unlike my
Debian system:

http://blog.stuffedcow.net/2010/09/teksavvy-ipv6/

Thanks in advance for your help ...

bjb

> > Could you send the pppoe config files for IPv4 and IPv6 for
> > connecting to teksavvy please?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > bjb

---end quoted text---