Re: [OCLUG-Tech] SD card

On Jan 19, 2012, at 16:46, Rick Leir wrote:

> On 19/01/2012 3:10 PM, linux-request [ at ] lists [ dot ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca wrote:
> All SD cards incorporate a digital rights management

It's a bit more complicated than that. Each SD card has 2 separate FAT(32?) file system on it. The unprotected file system is one you all know and love. The protected file system is only accessible if the application/appliance has a crypto key issued by the SD card association and is quite small when unused.

The intention of the protected file system is to store valuable content such as movies, books and music. That was, and probably still is, the intent of the card specification. The key management scheme was similar to CSS.

The SD spec has evolved over the last 10 years so everything I just wrote could be untrue. :)

Regards,
Spencer